Your Own Improvements

If you have written permission you can make changes to your home.

Secure tenants and leaseholders can make improvements and alterations to their homes with permission.

You must get written permission from us before making any changes, including replacement or removal of existing features, as well as installing or building new ones.

Any improvement you request must comply with our specification and building and planning requirements.

Apply for planning permission:

Find out about and contact Building Control:

We will not give you permission to make installations or alterations which may be unsafe or dangerous to anyone. This includes deep ponds, earth removal, removing or knocking down walls or disturbing any material which contains asbestos.

You must not make any improvements, additions or structural alterations to common areas.

Full details of your responsibilities for maintaining and improving your home can be found in your tenancy agreement.

Please download and complete the below form and return to BITMO.

Permission Request Form

Alternatively, complete the online version below:

Please provide detail of the alterations you wish to make to your property. Please provide as much information as possible including supporting plans/ pictures/ documents

We will contact you within 10 days of receiving your request to arrange an inspection or to let you know our decision.

You are responsible for getting planning permission, and making sure your changes meet building control and health and safety regulations.

Work must be carried out by a competent person who has the appropriate training, knowledge and experience.

Gas fittings must be done by a Gas Safe registered engineer

Electrical work must be done by registered NICEIC or ECA installers

Find a registered competent person

You must let us know when the work is underway and when it is complete as we will need to inspect it.

Once the work is complete, you will be responsible for the repair and maintenance of any improvements or additions you have made. If we need to repair, maintain or inspect the work for any reason, you will have to pay any additional costs. For example, we will have a legal responsibility to check, service and maintain any gas appliances or fittings you have installed.

If you make changes to your home without our written permission, or if works are not carried out to an acceptable standard, we can:

  • Require you to return the property to how it was before – if you don’t do this, we may do the work and charge you for it, or seek possession of the property.
  • Let you keep the work as it is, but once your tenancy ends we will carry out remedial work or reverse any alterations or additions you have made – you will be charged for the cost of this work.

Have a question about this page?

Fill out the form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

    BITMO Latest X

    Can you help make the Belle Isle Gala a success?

    Can you help with the Belle Isle Gala?

    It will be on Saturday 6 July 12-3pm at Windmill School.

    You could do anything from:

    You can read more about the Gala and follow any updates here.

    Type something below and press return to search or click a related link:

    X Close Search